Boating accidents can lead to severe injuries and, in some cases, drowning. Unfortunately, the careless or negligent actions of boat owners and operators may be to blame for the drowning. Family members of drowning victims are often left wondering what recourse they have against negligent boat owners or operators in these situations. It may be possible to recover compensation and gain closure through a wrongful death claim. At Price Petho & Associates P.L.L.C., we are here to help when you need a Charlotte drowning accident attorney standing by your side. Let us work to secure any compensation your family may be entitled to.
Drowning incidents in NC are devastating
The most serious accident that can occur on a boat is one that leads to the drowning of the victim. According to the US Coast Guard, 79% of all fatal boating accidents during the latest reporting year involved victims drowning.
Most drowning accidents are entirely preventable. As we examine this list of the top causes of boat accidents, we can begin to paint a picture of liability for these situations:
- Alcohol: Federal data shows that alcohol is a leading factor in both fatal and non-fatal boating accidents.
- Operator error: Inexperienced or distracted operators are dangerous for anybody on board a water vessel.
- Speeding: All water vessels should be operated at a safe speed. Failing to do so could lead to disastrous collisions with other water vessels or fixed objects.
- Equipment failure: Boat owners and operators should regularly inspect and maintain their vessels to ensure that they are operating properly.
- Lack of preparation: Before anybody goes out on a boat, they should ensure that they have the right equipment to enjoy recreational activities. This includes life vests, as these devices are the best way to prevent accidental drownings.
Time limits to file a wrongful death claim
If you have lost a loved one due to the careless or negligent actions of a boat owner or operator, you need to be aware that there is a two-year statute of limitations in place for these cases. This means that family members have a two-year window with which to file a wrongful death claim against the alleged negligent party. Failing to file a claim within this timeframe will result in the family being unable to recover the compensation and closure they deserve.
We offer a free consultation for your case
If your loved one has lost their lives in a drowning incident caused by the careless or negligent actions of a boat owner or operator, contact an attorney about your case today. At Price Petho & Associates P.L.L.C., our team is ready to get to work on your behalf. We will conduct a full investigation into the incident in order to secure the compensation your family needs. This can include:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of future income and benefits of the deceased
- Cost of pre-death medical expenses
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of companionship damages
- Possible punitive damages against those responsible